jacob blake protest kenosha wisconsin
People carry placards at an event at Civic Center Park in Kenosha, Wis., November 2, 2020. (Bing Guan/Reuters)

The Department of Justice announced Friday that it will not pursue civil rights charges against the Wisconsin police officer who shot Jacob Blake, an African American man, last year while responding to a domestic violence call.

Blake had a warrant out for his arrest in connection with a third-degree sexual assault. As officers attempted to detain Blake, he walked to the front of his vehicle toward the driver’s side door and Kenosha Police Officer Rusten Sheskey, who is white, fired his gun seven times. Blake was struck by six of the bullets during the August 23, 2020 incident, leaving him paralyzed from the waist down. 

Authorities discovered an unfolded knife on the driver’s side floorboard of Blake’s vehicle.

Upon review of police reports, law enforcement accounts, witness statements, witness affidavits, photographs, videos and more, federal prosecutors said the evidence obtained during their investigation was insufficient to prove Sheskey “willfully used excessive force.”

“After a careful and thorough review, a team of experienced federal prosecutors determined that insufficient evidence exists to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the KPD officer willfully violated the federal criminal civil rights statutes,” the DOJ said.

The DOJ said it had made representatives of Blake’s family aware of its decision.

The announcement comes after Kenosha County District Attorney Mike Graveley decided not to file any charges against Sheskey last year. Graveley said Sheskey’s use of force was justified and the officer had acted in self-defense because Blake was armed with a knife.

The Kenosha Police Department also declined to discipline the officer, saying he was acting “within policy.”

Send a tip to the news team at NR.

Something to Consider

If you valued reading this article, please consider joining our fight by donating to our Fall Webathon. Your contribution makes it possible for us to continue our mission of speaking truth and defending conservative principles.

If you valued reading this article, please consider joining our fight by donating to our Fall Webathon.

Support Our Mission

Source: DOJ Won’t Pursue Charges Against Officer Who Shot Jacob Blake

DOJ Won’t Pursue Charges Against Officer Who Shot Jacob Blake - Click To Share

Other recent press releases

*This is a free press release. All upgraded press releases are ad-free!

Anaheim Angel Stadium Sale Violates Open Meeting Law: Lawsuit Appeals

A homeless housing advocacy group appealed May 24 a lawsuit against the City of Anaheim, California, claiming the city violated open meeting laws during the sale of the Angel Stadium. On behalf of the People’s Homeless Taskforce, attorney Jelly Aviles filed a notice of appeal to revive a lawsuit originally filed in February 2020, arguing…

Colorado Rockies Getting Small Dividend On Kris Bryant Investment So Far

Colorado Rockies’ Kris Bryant in the fifth inning of game one of a day/night doubleheader Saturday, … [+] May 21 2022, in Denver. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski) ASSOCIATED PRESS The Colorado Rockies’ signing of Kris Bryant was one of the biggest surprises among the flurry of player transactions in Major League Baseball following the end of…